de nieuwe snede

the new cut – 16th century material culture in the low countries

I cut out my veil yesterday and hemmed it. I made it too short, and also 25″ before seam allowance seemed wide enough when I measured over my braids but I probably should have made it 27″ or so. The good news is I have about 6 yards of that linen lawn, the somewhat bad news is that pulling the threads to cut it straight was a pain in the butt and I’m not convinced I kept my hem on the grain anyway. I’ll revisit this project with a larger veil eventually!

pulling the thread.

If I had made the veil longer I would have had more play when it came to draping the veil. 25″ long seems like a lot until you are trying to get this little flappy here, and so on and so forth.

Here’s how I draped it. Sort of. I should have just asked my husband who was sitting right next to me to take photos of the draping. I’ll try to get them next time.  Missing is the photo where I pinned the front corners at the nape.
After pinning at the nape, I pinned the first “triangles” up on my head


I then pinned the flaps down.


At this point, I took the outer edges of the flaps up and pinned them to the rest of the cap.

I will point out that I have not starched this at all. Linen lawn doesn’t behave like any of the linens I have used before. It has a stiffer hand, it doesn’t drape the same. I’m actually now wondering if the use of starch on Dutch veils would have been minimal because of how this vintage lot of linen I have acts.

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have questions!

%d bloggers like this: